8 Posts
6 Users
1 Likes
Rosedale SES
(@rosedale-ses)
Registered
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

just a quick question, do you require a license from TMR if your Hovercraft is going to use roads at certain times.

Posted : 24/07/2022 4:35 pm
Paul Moody
(@paulmoody)
AHA Member Victoria Branch, AHA Committee, Rally Organising Committee, Editor

Everywhere in Australia hovercraft are classed as boats. The best you would ever get for public land would be a special one-off permit. I can't imagine anyone being allowed to operate on a road.

Posted : 24/07/2022 5:00 pm
Glenn
(@glenn)
AHA Member Victoria Branch

Many years ago, I went to VicRoads and attempted to get recreational registration for my hovercraft, so at the very least, I could legally use it in designated and approved areas. The response then was that it was already registered as a boat (before ACV registration days) and dual registration was not permitted. The catch-all was that as it was registered as a boat, boats cannot operate on land! Hovercraft would be an ideal vehicle for use in some rescue work, and perfect for use with flood damage assessment work in areas where displacement hulled vessels could not safely operate.

Many will be very interested hear how this one goes. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Glenn

Posted : 24/07/2022 5:23 pm
James King
(@jamesk)
AHA Member Queensland Branch

As far as I know there’s nothing in QLD legislation (Act or Regulations) that specifically prohibits ACV use in ‘road related areas’ (near/at boat ramp car parks). I don’t believe lawmakers anticipated ACV’s to use public roads so they didn’t legislate for or against it. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by James King

Posted : 24/07/2022 6:04 pm
Rosedale SES
(@rosedale-ses)
Registered
Topic starter

@paulmoody thanks Paul. I am more interested in flooding events where we are required to go land water back to land and so on following road ways.

Posted : 24/07/2022 9:26 pm
Paul Moody reacted
Rachel Smithson
(@smithson18)
AHA Member Victoria Branch, AHA Committee, Rally Organising Committee

@rosedale-ses what state are you in?

Posted : 25/07/2022 8:35 am
Airlift Hovercraft
(@airlift-hovercraft)
Registered

Rosedale Queensland Rachel

Posted : 25/07/2022 11:18 am
Airlift Hovercraft
(@airlift-hovercraft)
Registered

There is no category to register a hovercraft for public road use in any state of Australia and probably for good reason. That being said, when a roadway becomes flooded or a causeway, your application of 'emergency use' overrides everything else. 

Posted : 25/07/2022 11:20 am
Share: